Research Assistant Position with the Pandemics & Borders Team - Summer 2023
This is a great research opportunity for students interested in pursuing graduate studies. The position will be posted through SFU’s Work Study program (deadline March 17). More details about Work Study can be found here. Please email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested in the opportunity but ineligible for the Work Study program. Please note that the Work Study applicants will be prioritized.
Pandemics & Borders Research Assistant Position
Title: Research Assistant
Duration: May – August 2023
Pay: Commensurate with experience
Supervisor: Dr. Salta Zhumatova
The Pandemics & Borders research group studies the use of travel measures during the COVID-19 pandemic and how this can support effective pandemic preparedness and response in future. We are seeking detail-oriented Research Assistants to work with Dr. Salta Zhumatova to code entries for a unique global dataset. This includes checking the accuracy of entries in a WHO dataset for assigned countries and entering the cleaned data into the project dataset. No background in statistics is needed and training will be provided. We will work in Excel. RAs are required to attend a training workshop and research meetings.
The RAs will be primarily responsible for the following tasks:
• To review the WHO dataset for assigned countries, check the accuracy of entries, code using the protocol developed by the project team, and enter data onto project dataset;
• To discuss any discrepancies with the project team;
• To attend an in-person training workshop and regular research meetings to provide progress updates.
• Student in any discipline;
• Strong ability to perform tasks with a high level of accuracy, precision and attention to detail;
• Ability to work in an organized manner with a large research team, if needed; and
• Experience with datasets is an asset but not required.